American Legion Post 629 was founded in 1972 by three veterans with their first meeting being held in the courthouse in Coldspring. They soon moved east on FM 222 to what was then an old cotton gin. They later moved to the current location after land was donated by Bridges Browder across from Browders Marina on FM 3278.
In 1975, American Legion Post 629 elected its first Commander and the Charter was signed in 1977.
Though many of the original members have passed on, Post 629 remains the centerpiece of the community. Its members continue to be active in community affairs, supporting youth programs, granting scholarships, supporting the local ROTC, Boy Scouts, and ALWAYS our Veterans, their families and their needs.
February, 2010, Post 629's Charter and Post Name was changed to honor our now deceased Commander Harold G. Davis.
Commander Charles (Chuck) Baxley; 1st Vice Dale Everitt; 2nd Vice George Willson; Adjutant Nelson Durant; Finance Officer Lloyd Davis, Jr.;
Chaplain Irving Olivia; Sergeant At Arms James Guilvarry; Historian Joel Love; Service Officer West Rogers; Judge Advocate David Stroh;
Executive Board William Romine, Carl Weber.
Camilla, Texas is located off FM 222 and is midway of Shepherd and Coldspring, at the intersection of FM 3278 and FM 3128. Camilla is named for one of its early settlers, Mrs. Camilla Hardin Davis, shortly after the Civil War. Camilla received a Post Office in 1895 which later moved to Coldspring. Coldspring has been the county seat of San Jacinto County since 1877. Camilla is no longer a town but is a growing community located near Lake Livingston and the Trinity River with a Marina / RV Park and Campground located northwest on FM 3278.
Harold G. Davis Post 629
1348 FM 3278 - Coldspring (Camilla), Texas
AMERICAN LEGION Post 629